Upgrade to Latest PHP Version
What is it?
PHP is the open source programming and scripting language used by WordPress sites. At the end of 2018 the two most widely used versions of PHP reached end of life and are no longer supported by any quality hosting services. Most hosts have made the most current version available on their platform to safely upgrade to the latest version of PHP.
Why should you care?
The earlier versions of PHP are no longer receiving security updates. Which means there is an increased likelihood that your site will become compromised. Due to this, most hosting providers will no longer provide access to servers with outdated PHP. Version 7.2 will be moving out of official support in November 2019 some hosts are forcing upgrades regardless of compatibility.
Let us do the work!
We are happy to make these preparations for you.
- Convert a WPEngine account from a standalone install to a “WPEngine site environment” to allow for efficient testing
- Perform a full scan of the existing site to determine if there are any obvious compatibility issues
- Copy the site to a separate site running the latest version of PHP, test, and address any obvious issues within an isolated testing environment
- Provide a fully upgraded test site for review and approval
- Help coordinate timing and perform a full upgrade if the production site to the latest version of PHP.
- Perform a post upgrade review to ensure all systems are working normally
This task will take anywhere between 2-4 hours at your standard hourly rate